A Meissen Porcelain Armorial Hot Milk Jug, from the Mauro D'Averso Service, decorated in the manner of Bonaventura Gottlieb Hauer, circa 1740, of baluster shape, the gilded wishbone handle with shell thumb-piece, the main body decorated in colours with estuary scenes and merchants discussing business, one group with a lady seated at their feet holding a baby, the armorial painted beneath the spout, blue crossed swords mark, 12.5cm See illustration
Provenance: The Wolfe Collection, Bonhams, Important Meissen and Related Porcelains, 17 June 1998, lot 102. Wolfe Inventory No.195.
Anon, Sotheby's, London, 5 February 1974, lot 136.
The arms, Mauro D'Averso of Naples quartering Branciforte and Collonna of Naples, the Pucci of Florence and the Crespi of Venice. Mauro D'Averso being one of the founding thirty members of the Order of St Januarius (Grennaro) established at the marriage of Charles, King of Naples and the two Sicilies, later Charles III of Spain and Maria Amalie Christine, daughter of Augustus the Strong of Saxony in 1738. He is the only Neapolitans known to have ordered an armorial service from the Meissen factory.