Edith Lawrence (1890-1973)
Signed in pencil, inscribed and numbered 24/50, linocut printed in colours, 23.5cm by 33cm
Provenance: From the Estate of Edith Lawrence
Born in Surrey in 1890. Lawrence was a painter, designer, printmaker and teacher. She attended the Slade School of Art from 1910-14, where she was a prizewinning student. She went on the spend a period of time in St. Ives and returned to the Slade in 1916 where she studied under the Canadian born artist Percyval Tudor Hart and also began exhibiting at the Royal Academy and New English Art Club. In 1917 she took up a teaching position at Runston Hill School and in 1920 she met Claude Flight, the founder of the Grosvenor School of Modern Art. In 1925 she moved into Claude Flight's studio and the two shared an exhibition of textiles and linocuts at the Redfern Gallery in 1926. In 1927 they set up an interior decorating business trying out different methods of linocut, wallpaper, wall hangings and textiles.
Edith spent many summers with Claude at his Neolithic chalk cave in the banks of the Seine at Chantemesle, that he had purchased for 300 francs after his time in France during WW1. Here he taught the art of the linocut at informal summer schools.
During WWI Claude and Edith lived in London working from their studio off Baker Street. Later fleeing from the blitz they moved to a cottage in Donhead St Andrew. She spent much of her later life at Worth Matravers, the surrounding area becoming a source of inspiration for many of her paintings.
In 1973, the year of her death Edith held a solo exhibition at the University of Hull, which was later followed by a memorial exhibition in the same year at the Parkin Gallery dedicated to both Edith and Claude.