Tennants is one of the only UK auctioneers to hold dedicated sales of Costume, Accessories & Textiles. The specialist department handles an extraordinary range of collector’s items and fashion from the 17th century to the present day. Attracting both specialist collectors and private buyers looking for affordable and wearable vintage clothes, the sales include:
- Antique costume and accessories from the 17th century to the early 20th century
- Vintage costume and accessories from the 1940s to the 1980s, with bespoke tailored pieces for both men and women alongside designer labels such as Jean Muir, Ossie Clark, Mary Quant, vintage Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent
- Modern designer clothes and luxury leather goods from the top names in fashion such as Hermès, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Chanel, Dior and Alexander McQueen
- World costume and textiles, including Chinese robes and African costume
- Quilts and fine household linens from the 17th century onwards
- Antique lace and lace-making tools from the major centres of production such as Brussels and Honiton
- Haberdashery and Sewing Accessories
- Samplers, embroideries and woolwork pictures
- Antique and collectable dolls from makers such as Jumeau, Gebruder Heubach and Gaultier along with dolls houses and accessories
- Teddy bears and soft toys by the likes of Steiff, Bing, Chad Valley and Merrythought
The department specialises in selling private collections of costume and collectable items, and works hand in hand with The Garden Rooms team to display collections ahead of sale. Recent private collections sold include a Collection of Rare Knitting Sheaths and Audrey’s Wardrobe, a personal wardrobe of high street clothes from the 1960s.
We are now inviting entries for our forthcoming sales. If you have items you would like to consign, please request a free valuation using the link below.
A Late 18th Century Miniature Carved and Painted Wooden DollSold for £9,500
An Yves Saint Laurent for Christian Dior Fuchsia Pink Silk Chiffon Day Dress, 1959Sold for £800
An Important Late 17th Century Quaker Band SamplerSold for £11,000
An Early 19th Century Quilt, Worked by Hannah Langdale, Aged 13, Dated 1834Sold for £7800
A Chanel Black Quilted Leather Classic Flap BagSold for £2,400
NEWS & INSIGHTS
9th February 2024, 10:30
Get your antiques and collectables valued by our team of specialists.
Plan your visit to our Leyburn Head Office and Salerooms, or our Harrogate and London Offices